The following story by Anthony de Mello captures what can happen if we don’t embrace our destiny and we lose our freedom to be eagles.
A man found an eagle’s egg and put it in a nest of a barnyard hen. The eaglet hatched with the brood of chicks and grew up with them. All his life the eagle did what the barnyard chicks did, thinking he was a barnyard chicken. He scratched the earth for worms and insects. He clucked and cackled. And he would thrash his wings and fly a few feet into the air.
Years passed and the eagle grew very old. One day he saw a magnificent bird above him in the cloudless sky. It glided in graceful majesty among the powerful wind currents, with scarcely a beat of its strong golden wings. The old eagle looked up in awe. “Who’s that?” he asked. “That’s the eagle, the king of the birds,” said his neighbor. “He belongs to the sky. We belong to the earth—we’re chickens.” So the eagle lived and died a chicken, for that’s what he thought he was.
Today on the program, we are talking about Relationships; specifically, we want to look at the LAW OF ASSOCIATION.
“He that walks with wise men will be wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm, (or destruction).” – Proverbs 13:20
“Do not be deceived and misled! Evil (ungodly) companionships (communion, associations) corrupt and deprave good manners and moral and character.” – I Corinthians 15:33
Many times, we underestimate the POWER of relationships. When involved (especially at a heart level) with someone in relationship, a soul tie is formed. Keep in mind that not all soul ties are ungodly or unhealthy; however, it is imperative that we carefully examine past and present relationships to see them how God sees them.
Characteristics of Godly Relationships
- The other person involved in your life is committed to your spiritual growth
- This person is as concerned about YOUR well being and success as you are
- You should NEVER be in the position of always having to be the giver
- The relationship that is GODLY gives and receives with JOY
- A Godly relationship does not cause you to violate your conscience, or walk against the plan and will of God for your life
- A Godly relationship does not manipulate through anger or control, but rather, it motivates through love
The Law of Association
- Your life will rise or fall to the level of your associations/relationships
- If you want to know where you are going in life, just look at your friends!
Check The Fruit:
“You will know them by their fruits. Grapes are not gathered from thorn bushes nor figs from thistles, are they? So every good tree bears good fruit, but the bad tree bears bad fruit. A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit.” – Matthew 7:16-18
Who are you YOKED with?
A yoke is a wooden instrument that BINDS two oxen together. Its purpose is to cause them to only be able to walk TOGETHER. Imagine trying to move on with your life in a new and Godly direction, being YOKED together with someone or something that is moving in an opposite direction. It creates strife, confusion, guilt, frustration, etc.
Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? – II Corinthians 6:14
Associations to be considered:
- Old relationships
- Experiences with friend
- Old jobs
- Old church
- Old anointings
- Ungodly relationships
- People who don’t want to see you succeed, but you are still tied to them
- People who do not love you
- People who are not walking after God
- People who are broke and struggling
- Ask God to reveal these to you
- Ask the Holy Spirit to show you what areas of your life are being impacted by these
1. New Beginnings LIVE Workshop: Coming To Houston, Texas!
- How to let go of your past (once and for all)
- How to re-ignite your dreams
- How to develop a strategic plan
- Be activated for the new season God is bringing you into
- Be watching for DATES and LOCATION!
2. LIVE WEBINAR: ‘Becoming A Leader That Others Want To Follow’ – Join me on Wednesday, April 16th at 7:00pm at BrianHolmes.com/teleseminar
3. Become A Coaching Client – I still have several openings for personal coaching clients. If you would like to have ME coach you in your business, general life strategies, or in any other area, please CONTACT ME for a free 30 minute consultation.
4. If you would like to have me speak at your church, conference, or event, please visit my speaking page at www.brianholmes.com/speaking
How can you join the conversation and be a part?
- Subscribe to our updates at www.BrianHolmes.com
- Subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, Stitcher, Blackberry, Zune, or other services.
- Share this with your friends and associates on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, etc.
- Leave your comments (bottom of this post) and dialogue with others as they work towards their own freedom and development
I trust that something we’ve shared today has challenged you to pursue God’s very best for your life, be healed from the past, be transformed in your mind and heart, and be activated to fulfill your unique purpose and destiny. If you’d like to COMMENT ON THIS EPISODE, please go to BrianHolmes.com, go to the show notes for this episode and scroll down to the comments section. I would love to hear from you— comment, question, or whatever.
I’d also be grateful if you would RATE OUR PODCAST ON iTunes. That helps tremendously with making my podcast visible, so people who have never heard it can discover it. I’m grateful.
“Until next time, remember … You were made in His image, designed for a purpose, and are destined for greatness. God Bless!