On this episode, we will talking about ‘Understanding My Identity – Who Am I Really?’ Every one of us is born with a DESTINY – a pre-determined purpose, assignment, or identity. You are not a random entity that just showed up here. You have a name … I’m not talking about the one your parents gave you; I’m talking about the one your CREATOR gave you. You are made in His image and likeness. You ARE who He says you are!
Throughout the course of our days, things happen; life happens; people hurt us; we experience tragedy; and WHO we are becomes muddled and unclear. The internal picture of who we really are no longer has clarity or focus. When we experience enough pain and disappointment, we begin to believe that we are something altogether different from who God says we are
In this episode, I want to share with you some principles that I believe are paramount to our success
26 Then God said, “Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth.”
27 God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
28 God blessed them; and God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
29 Then God said, “Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you;
30 and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food”; and it was so.
Our most basic identity and character is described here in Genesis 1. Our most foundational mandate and purpose is laid out here on the basis or WHO WE ARE, and WHAT WE ARE SUPPOSE TO ACT LIKE. At the very least, we see here that God intended for mankind to function in the earth from a position of POWER, DOMINION, AUTHORITY, VICTORY, and BLESSING
In no way can we see or justify in scripture a life that is bound, in poverty, emotionally tormented, unhappy, depressed, and living an unfulfilled or unsuccessful life. The bottom line here is, if we are living in any of these conditions or states, we have a problem; and the problem is IGNORANCE. The problem is, WE DON’T know or have a clear understanding of WHO we are, and WHAT we have.
“MY PEOPLE PERISH FOR A LACK OF KNOWLEDGE”
The greatest enemy of man is his misconception of himself. Ignorance of self is the root of all of mans frustrations and at the heart of his dilemma. The foundation of the ultimate temptation was self deception, and the original sin was a result of self doubt. You see, the TRUTH about you is the key to your personal freedom. If you discover the truth about YOU (as God sees it) you become free of the lies that Satan has said about you. You become FREE to be WHO and WHAT God always intended you to be! You become FREE to live in the IMAGE and LIKENESS of the one who created you for His glory and His pleasure. You become free to FULFILL the complete and total destiny and calling; the one God always believed you to be
“You will know the TRUTH, and the TRUTH will set you free.”
Satan’s greatest weapon against you is to maintain your ignorance of your IDENTITY. Man’s ignorance of his true identity, worth, purpose, value, is the heart of all his problems. When you don’t know WHO you are, you cannot be anybody else! Therefore, you flounder through life trying to be something without knowing how to be anything, and you never come to be the ONE THING that God intended you to be.
The PRICE OF IGNORANCE is to forfeit our divine destinies, only to be relegated to a dismal life, followed by an ordinary death
“For as he thinks within himself, so he is …”
Anything that opposes the Word of God that has been spoken concerning my life can only originate from one source…SATAN. It is then necessary that I REJECT lies, and EMBRACE truth.
- How does God see us?
- God sees us through the eyes of DESTINY
- He sees our lives exactly how He saw our lives before the foundation of the world
- He identifies with us ONLY on the basis of what and who He named us when he created us
Steps To Discovering Who You Really Are:
- Ask God to reveal your identity to you
- Identify the moments/places where the seed of self-doubt was introduced
- Identify the lies that were introduced to you in those moments/places … name them
- Discover and identify the TRUTH; create affirming statements that counter-act the lies. (You must replace lies with TRUTH)
- Practice the daily exercise of reading and confessing the statements of TRUTH (affirmations) concerning your life and future.
5 Things You Should KNOW About You
- You are made in His image and likeness
- You are His workmanship, and He does ALL things well
- No matter what you have been through, or where you find yourself in this moment, you still have value, worth, and a destiny that is yours for the taking
- God has not changed His mind about WHO you are
- Your past does not DEFINE you; it simply provides you the platform from which you can BE who you really are
If you’d like to comment in this episode, please go to BrianHolmes.com, go to the show notes for this episode and scroll down to the comments section. I would love to hear from you—comment, question, or whatever.
Next week, I will be talking about, ‘The Power of Your Mind’.
Be sure to leave us a question at www.BrianHolmes.com and we will do our best to answer it in the show.
- Become A Coaching Client – I have 3 openings for personal coaching clients. If you would like to have ME coach you in your business, general life strategies, or in any other area, please CONTACT ME for a free 30 minute consultation.
- If you would like to have me speak at your church, conference, or event, please visit my speaking page at www.brianholmes.com/speaking
- I am attending the SCORRE Conference with Michael Hyatt and Ken Davis. This conference is for those who desire to become better speakers and communicators. For more information, visit www.scorreconference.tv. Use discount code: HOLMES for $100 off
- I am also attending the PLATFORM Conference with Michael Hyatt and Ken Davis in November 2013. This conference is for those who desire to build a significant PLATFORM for their business, message, or product. For more information, visit www.platformconference.tv. Use discount code: HOLMES for $100 off
- Become a Certified Professional Coach – (Dallas) www.brianholmes.com/become-a-certified-professional-coach
- November 15-16, 2013 Friday/Saturday
- Online: One-to-One (Contact us via our website for details)
How can you join the conversation and be a part?
- Subscribe to our updates at www.BrianHolmes.com
- Subscribe to the podcast via iTunes, Stitcher, Blackberry, Zune, or other services.
- Share this with your friends and associates on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google+, etc.
- Leave your comments (bottom of this post) and dialogue with others as they work towards their own freedom and development
I trust that something we’ve shared today has challenged you to pursue God’s very best for your life, be healed from the past, be transformed in your mind and heart, and be activated to fulfill your unique purpose and destiny.
If you’d like to COMMENT ON THIS EPISODE, please go to BrianHolmes.com, go to the show notes for this episode and scroll down to the comments section. I would love to hear from you— comment, question, or whatever.
I’d also be grateful if you would RATE OUR PODCAST ON iTunes. That helps tremendously with making my podcast visible, so people who have never heard it can discover it. I’m grateful.
“Until next time, remember … You were made in His image, designed for a purpose, and are destined for greatness.God Bless!